The 2013 Sacramento County Fair opens today at Cal Expo and runs through the weekend. A much smaller and cheaper cousin to “Big Fun,” the County Fair has much of the same fun without the crowds and heat. Sacramento “Don’t Say Jazz” Music “Don’t Say Jubilee” Festival is this weekend as well, but maybe you’ve got time for both?
Admission is free for kids under 12 and only $5 for adults. The music acts may not boast any headliners but there is a Journey cover band and some country music to enjoy. Saturday is Jimboy’s Taco Day; I’m not sure what that means but I don’t think it’s too much to set aside one day a year to dedicate to Jimboy’s tacos is it?
The animals and the people raising them are a great reason to visit, so if you want to see them make sure to visit before Monday, by which time the judging will be over and all the cows will have gone home (and pigs and sheep and stuff).
Special themes for each day:
- Thursday, May 23 – Opening Day-Celebrating Your Community-Invitational Mayorâ€™s Goat Milking Contest
- Friday May 24 – Value Day – Dollar Food Items, 4 to 9 pm & Demolition Derby
- Saturday, May 25 – Stars & Stripes Bull Riding sponsored by Lasher’s Elk Grove Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram
- Sunday, May 26 – Junior Livestock Auction, 10 am, Livestock Barn & Gran Jaripeo (Mexican Rodeo & Fiesta)
- Monday, May 27 – Military Appreciation Day &Team Sorting