The folks at Select Comfort recently asked the Sac Rag to take the Sleep Number® bed for a spin and let our readers know what we thought. I thought this was a great opportunity as I’ve always been interested in the concept (two air mattresses that you can adjust from firm to soft with a wireless remote control) and the TopofIt’s bed was starting to show its age. So, I offered to take the challenge and I haven’t looked back since.
We were provided with a queen-sized version of the Sleep Number® p5 bed. This included the “Modular Base” which replaces the traditional box spring and can be incorporated into your existing bed frame (I have a wooden frame, and the delivery guys made it work easily and the bed is very stable). Speaking of delivery guys, they arrived on time (after calling to tell me they were on their way) and had the bed up and running in 30 minutes. They explained everything there is to know about the bed and even shared a few stories about their Sleep Number beds and how to find your sleep number. It couldn’t have gone smoother.
Since the bed is perfect for couples, Mrs TopofIt and I immediately began the process of finding our sleep number. Ideally, you should visit your local Sleep Number bed store and experience the technology available to determine your exact sleep number. In the Sacramento area, there are stores at Arden Fair, Westfield Galleria at Roseville, and Westfield Solano.
We opted for the DIY process which involves lying in your bed and running the settings from 100 (firmest) to 0 (softest) and then back again noting how you feel along the way. Once you find a number you like, stick with it for 3 or 4 nights. From there, it is a process of adjusting the sleep number in increments of 5 until you find the setting that fits you best. We quickly learned that I lean toward a softer mattress (35) while she leans toward a firmer mattress (55).
It’s been about three weeks since we got our Sleep Number® bed and we are both really enjoying it. With the pillow-top cover, the bed does not look different than any other bed and is very stable. It’s no air mattress you take camping that you have to refill each night before bed. I’m finding it very comfortable, but not life-changing, like TiVo or self-serve frozen yogurt.
What’s great about this bed?
- You can adjust the firmness of the bed for you and the person you share your bed with, or TPYSYBW.
- The bed adjusts to the contours of your body, once you find the number that fits you, you’re all set.
- Depending on the model, the pillow-top mattress and comfort layer provide a really nice surface for roughhousing with TPYSYBW. It’s quiet, too! Wink Wink.
- It fits your existing bed frame or can be used as a stand-alone bed with posts.
- If you struggle with back issues or restless sleeping, there is a good chance this bed will help you sleep better.
What’s not-so-great about this bed?
- The price. These things aren’t cheap, but they will last a very long time. Do your research and visit a Sleep Number® store to get analyzed. They offer a 30-Night Trial program.
- The warranty. It’s good, just not great. The first two years are covered completely with the customer picking up 20% plus 4% of the price for each year from the original purchase date
Learn more about Sleep Number® on YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook. You may also want to participate in the monthly "Sleep Better Chat" on Facebook and Twitter. This month’s topic is "Tips for Pain Relief."